Post Office in Charleston, WV (2023)

Charleston Post Office

Tuesday 10:15am - 2:15pm, 3:15pm - 4:15pm
Wednesday 10:15am - 2:15pm, 3:15pm - 4:15pm
Thursday 10:15am - 2:15pm, 3:15pm - 4:15pm
Friday 10:15am - 2:15pm, 3:15pm - 4:15pm
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed

• Visit our Passport FAQ page for a complete overview of what to bring, what you need to know, and how long it will take.
  • You will need two forms of Identification with copies.
  • A passport quality photo. Available at location.
  • The appropriate application form printed and filled out, and the required fee for applying or renewing.
  • You can find up to date costs, information, and forms at the State Departments Travel Site

*An appointment is required to apply for or renew US Passports. Please Call 304-561-1012 or schedule online.

• Burial Flags
  • Business Line
  • Business Reply Mail Account Balance
  • Duck Stamps
  • General Delivery
  • Money Orders (Domestic)
  • Money Orders (Inquiry)
  • Money Orders (International)
  • Packaged Stamps
  • Passport Acceptance
  • Passport Photo
  • Philatelic Services
  • Pickup Accountable Mail
  • Pickup Hold Mail
  • PO Box Online
  • Lobby has Copier
  • Lobby has Fax
  • Lobby has Vending
  • Lot Parking
  • Passport Appointment Hours

Visit our Links Page for Holiday Schedule, Change of Address, Hold Mail/Stop Delivery, PO Box rentals and fees, and Available Jobs.

*Please call to verify information. Is anything incorrect? Let us know here

' ] }];var center = [longitude,latitude];var view = getView(center);var map = new ol.Map({controls: controlOpts,interactions: interactionOpts, layers: [getLayer(mapType, apiKey, targetDivId)], target: targetDivId, view: view});addMarkers(markers, map);setMarkerOpen(markers, 0);

*Comments below are not read by postal employees. Please do not post personal information.

*By clicking Submit, you agree to our .

Post Office in Charleston, WV (1)

Beverley Toney

I have received mail from 108 Hickory Hills place, apt 3 many times and I live at 106 hickory hills place, apt 3. How hard is it to distinguish between 106 and 108. I’ve complained, filed complaints, but it just keeps happening. I’ve lost packages, mail and everything else because of this. What do I do?

(Video) Charleston's most difficult mail route

Post Office in Charleston, WV (2)

Lem

I live in an elderly and disabled apartment building and Our mailman hates us. He takes out his anger over a few people who have been disrespectful and has slammed us all. He left my package at the post office for 3 weeks now. I call the post office and it rings then I’m hung up on. I’m beyond exhausted trying to get this taken care of.

Post Office in Charleston, WV (3)

Stephanie Harper

I am disabled and cannot get my Walker down the porch stairs and walk the length of my driveway to get the mail. I called customer service and they said all I had to do was mail a letter to the Post Master of my area with a doctor's note so that they would bring my mail to my front porch. That was months ago and nothing ever happened I tried to call and follow-up and they just put you on hold and then accidentally-on-purpose drop your call. I have had MRI bills sent to collection agencies because I depend on caregivers to bring the mail in and it's set in the mailbox for over a week at times. They have that service for disabled people where they bring the mail to the front door however I can't seem to get it. Also I cannot even get my medications postal mail with our new health insurance their preferred method on our prescription is to do the mail order well I can't do that because my mailman refuses to close my mailbox and I have highly sought-after meds so I have to pay an extra Pharmacy fee just to get my medication and I can't drive so again back to waiting a week for someone to go pick up my meds for me at the pharmacy today because my mailman can't be bothered to close the mailbox for me to do mail order and yes I've called I had to call to get him to stop he baits the horn like a maniac if the package doesn't fit in the mailbox he refuses to drive up people's driveway he would sit there and beat the horn like a maniac until you came outside of your house off your porch walk down the driveway to the road to get your box. Well I'm disabled and I can't walk that far and I cannot get my own Walker off the porch because of the steps because I'm disabled

Post Office in Charleston, WV (4)

Kimberly ann Smith

Horrible to not at phones, some people cannot get out often and my package has been sitting in the Lee street drop box for 5 days now and nobody will answer phones for me to let them know to check that drop box it may be stuck or up against the wall but that's where I dropped it 5 days ago and its very sensitive information guess I will have to make trip today!

Post Office in Charleston, WV (5)

D. Snuffer

The Oak Hill Wv. post office leaves the American flag flying at half staff for weeks. As a veteran and member of the American Legion I find this very disrespectfull!

Post Office in Charleston, WV (6)

Brian Larch

Some idiot at the Charleston wv post office scent my package to Knoxville TN . Charleston is 30 min from where I live . It’s been 3 days in other states and still waiting .

(Video) Postal Service Center

Post Office in Charleston, WV (7)

terry robbins

Hello, I am a disabled ( female) veteran and one of your customers. I get my meds via USPS and today when I saw that my medicine was at your station; I actually got a tear in my eye. Why, you may ask; because I knew that meant I would be getting this med ( I urgently require) will be here in Sophia tomorrow (Sat Jan 9) . You folks ROCK! TU for kicking butt at your jobs, I love you all. Keep up the great work!

Post Office in Charleston, WV (8)

James Fleshman

Said it was received and in transit on October 22 and be delivered on October 24. Never received package and have called numerous times and no on will answer the phone!

Post Office in Charleston, WV (9)

Clyde salmons

Overnight package was stopped in Charleston never made it for delivery today. Highly upset!! No-one will answer the phone or tell me anything when I call. Will report it to main office for investigation.

Post Office in Charleston, WV (10)

Vickie Hairston

June 20 at 4:45 pm tracking confirmed delivery in my mailbox. The item was not there

Post Office in Charleston, WV (11)

Tamara Eubanks

(Video) Fallout 76 : Where to find the Postmarked Letter in Charleston for the Recruitment Blues quest

I did not receive my packages on Tuesday, May 19th, even tho the tracking number said it was delivered at 10:15 AM on my porch. I've been trying to reach the postmaster for 2 days, but not picking up or able to leave a message.

Post Office in Charleston, WV (12)

Brandielea18

Why does my packages keep going out for delivery when my mail is on hold at the post office. I had 3 packages that I was unable to go pick up on the delivery dates. They are showing red on my informed delivery as an alert. Can someone please help me figure it out. Thank you

Post Office in Charleston, WV (13)

Paul Keg

Why doesn’t anyone on Lee Street Post Office answer the phone? I’ve called 10 times and let it ring for up to 5 minutes and get a recoding!!Very poor customer service and no Management supervisions!

Post Office in Charleston, WV (14)

David Canady

Because no one answers the phone when u call the Lee street post office in Charleston, Wv I would like to urge all citizens that are able.....show up in person to demand to speak to post master...it’s obvious The leadership of this office needs replaced....if after the virus emergency is over we should show up until whoever is in charge can answer as to why we are ignored. Squeaky wheel gets the grease! I’m also writing my representatives to look into the inept running of this office! I have a safety issue being ignored and just would like a response! Voice in numbers definitely sounds louder!!!!

Post Office in Charleston, WV (15)

MICHELLE DYER

NO MAIL THIS IS 3RD DAY NOW I KNOW THERE IS SOME JUNK MAIL IM WAITING ON VERY IMPORTANT MAIL ADDERESS WITHER CREEK 25015 WHEN CALLING MAIN POST OFFICE IN CHARLESTON 304/561-1000 AFTER ALL PRESS 1 PRESS 2 ECT ... RING 10 PLUS TIMES THEN HANG UP 1-800 NUMBER HOLD TIME 30 PLUS MINS

Post Office in Charleston, WV (16)

(Video) Springton WV Company Store Post Office

Corriene Wolford

The person delivering the mail yesterday did NOT get mail out of my box. You need people that know what they are doing. This person is lousy

Post Office in Charleston, WV (17)

Lillian caldwell

You have lousy customer services. Know one answers the stupid phone

Post Office in Charleston, WV (18)

Harold Dean Fields

Can someone please talk to the person delivering mail to Eagle View here in Charleston WV (25306)? My mail has been put in someone elses box twice now. This is mail that was time sensitive. Thank you!

Post Office in Charleston, WV (19)

Stacey Singer

Our building didn't receive mail today, 3/08/2018 and nobody answered your phone, this has happened before. Our address is 1546 Kanawha Blvd. East Apt. 1018 Charleston, WV 25311 What's the problem here? This is unacceptable!!!!!

Post Office in Charleston, WV (20)

Ronnie gilliam

Hello. I have trouble getting my. Black lung check it came today two weeks late why does this continue to happen. Two weeks is unacceptable please send me the number to reach a manger please. The robot is killing me. Please help this a serious matter to me 276 594 2194

(Video) 1st Amendment audit US Post Office Huntington West Virginia

FAQs

Why is the post office in decline? ›

USPS has reported net losses of nearly $100 billion since 2007. That stems in part from 2006 legislation that required that the agency pre-fund more than $120 billion in retiree healthcare and pension liabilities, a requirement that labor unions have called an unfair burden not shared by other businesses.

Does the post office scan every piece of mail? ›

WASHINGTON — The Postal Service on Friday confirmed that it takes a photograph of every letter and package mailed in the United States — about 160 billion pieces last year — and occasionally provides the photos to law enforcement agencies that request them as part of criminal cases.

Is the post office self sufficient? ›

USPS's expenses and revenues

USPS is expected to be financially self-sufficient, meaning that it is supposed to cover its expenses through revenues generated from the sale of its products and services. However, USPS's revenues do not cover its expenses.

How do I speak to my local post office? ›

If you can't find the phone number at all for a specific location, there is one more option. You can call 800-ASK-USPS to receive further assistance. The representative will be able to give you the phone number of any post office location you need.

Are postal workers government employees? ›

It is one of the few government agencies explicitly authorized by the U.S. Constitution. The USPS, as of 2021, has 516,636 career employees and 136,531 non-career employees.

Is the mail running slow 2022? ›

In the first quarter of 2022, the average time to deliver a piece of mail or a package was 2.7 days, according to the USPS. First-class mail, which had risen to nearly 90% on-time delivery after standards were eased last fall, fell to 86.7% in this year's first quarter.

Does USPS xray all packages? ›

Is Mail X-Rayed? Some of the mail that is sent through the United States Postal Service will pass through an X-Ray machine. There are no specific guidelines as to what may or may not be x-rayed, though mail sent to or through larger cities is likely to pass through an X-Ray machine.

What mail does not get scanned for Informed Delivery? ›

Also, Informed delivery is limited to previewing letter-sized mail only, so if you're receiving magazines, newspapers, catalogs, and other large-sized mail, you won't get a preview. Since informed delivery is a USPS service, it doesn't also scan mail arriving from other carriers like UPS, DHL, or FedEx.

Does USPS check packages for drugs? ›

Postal inspectors can screen packages to check for drugs like marijuana and other substances. Some people may attempt to send drugs through the mail because they believe the Fourth Amendment protects them from having their packages searched.

Why does USPS lose so many packages? ›

Typical Causes of Lost USPS Packages

The most common reason packages get lost by the USPS is because the address label falls off or the shipping label becomes smeared or illegible.

Why can't the USPS make money? ›

Remember, the USPS does NOT receive and revenue from the American taxpayer, their only source of revenue is for products and services! And the list goes on: They cannot add a fuel surcharge to pricing (as FedEx and UPS can) to maintain profit levels.

How much in debt is the US Postal Service? ›

Overall it faces unpaid obligations of $63 billion, according to its most recent annual report.

How do I find the name of my local postmaster? ›

Postmaster Finder is available on the Postal Service's Web site at https://about.usps.com/who-we-are/postmasterfinder/welcome.htm.

Does the post office take complaints seriously? ›

If your business is experiencing a delivery issue or has a concern regarding customer service, the email service or a telephone call offer a convenient way to discuss the problem. For more serious concerns, such as potential theft or fraud, the USPS Office of the Inspector General takes the lead.

Why am I not getting any mail delivered? ›

There are many reasons as to why you wouldn't get mail or packages such as the shipping label falling off, the address or recipient name getting smeared in case of bad weather, or the most common reason of all, an incorrect address. Just one wrong digit in the zip code can make all the difference with mail delivery.

How much vacation time do postal workers get? ›

The Postal Service offers generous annual (vacation) and sick leave – 13 days of annual leave per year for the first 3 years, increasing to 20 days per year after 3 years of service, and to 26 days per year after 15 years of service.

Do postal workers get federal benefits? ›

Today, most postal employees are eligible to participate in one of two federal retirement benefit programs: The Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS), which provides benefits for most workers hired before 1984. The Federal Employee Retirement System (FERS), which covers all workers hired after 1984.

What benefits do USPS employees get? ›

Postal career employees enjoy excellent benefits, including annual and sick leave that can be accumulated, the opportunity to donate leave, basic life insurance paid for by the Postal Service with additional options at the employee's cost, pretax health benefits with most of the cost paid by the Postal Service, pretax ...

Why is regular mail taking so long? ›

The simple answer: Your mail may slow down because the Postal Service lengthened its “service standards,” or the amount of time it says it should take for a piece of mail to get delivered. And how much slower it will get depends on where you live.

How long does it take for local mail to be delivered? ›

Mail in 1–5 Business Days; Small Packages in 2–5 Business Days. First-Class Mail® is an affordable mail service for standard-sized, single-piece envelopes weighing up to 3.5 oz and large envelopes and small packages weighing up to 13 oz.

Why is USPS taking so long? ›

The USPS has to deliver those on top of any packages that they have. It takes them longer because they have more stops than UPS or FedEx. They also have to handle both mail and packages whereas UPS or FedEx only handles packages. Both these instances force the USPS to take longer than other shipping carriers.

What makes a package suspicious? ›

Common Characteristics of Suspicious Packages

Package or envelope with suspicious leaks, stains, or powdered substances. Package is rigid, bulky, or has excessive tape/string. Poor handwriting, misspellings, improperly addressed. Excessive postage, no postage, or no/strange return address.

How does USPS check for drugs in mail? ›

The only way that an item sent through USPS can be seized and searched is with a search warrant. If there is probable cause to believe that a letter or package contains something that is in violation of federal law, then the Postal Inspectors can request a search warrant to open the piece of mail.

How do packages get flagged? ›

Mail may be flagged if the letter or package is stained or is leaking. According to a USPS brochure, reused packaging and boxes are only acceptable when all markings and labels are removed or completely marked out.

Can Informed Delivery be wrong? ›

Informed Delivery® provides notifications for mailpieces arriving soon - not necessarily mailpieces arriving that same day. Pieces can be delayed in getting to your mail carrier. Or, unfortunately, a mailpiece could be misdelivered.

Will IRS check show on Informed Delivery? ›

USPS Informed Delivery automatically scans all letters and alerts a registered addressee with an image each time a letter is about to be delivered. So, if the IRS has despatched your stimulus check or EIP debit card through USPS, you can actually track its mailing status.

Do all packages show up on Informed Delivery? ›

USPS Informed Delivery only shows the exterior of your mail

USPS Informed Delivery doesn't show customers all of their mail. Some letters arrive without ever showing up as a preview. The mail users do get previews of will only show them the outside of the envelope.

How do you know if a package has been seized? ›

Once the postal inspector receives the suspected mail, they will attempt to contact the sender or recipient and, if unsuccessful, scan it as “seized by law enforcement.” The scan is visible in the Postal Service's tracking system to the sender and recipient as well as postal personnel.

What happens when USPS Investigates? ›

USPS OIG investigators review relevant documents and interview complainants, witnesses, experts, and subjects. They may take sworn statements and use administrative subpoenas to obtain documentary evidence.

What happens if you send drugs through the mail? ›

At LEAST 10 years of imprisonment, and up to a 10 Million dollar fine (for first offense). At LEAST 20 years of imprisonment, and up to a 20 Millon dollar fine (for second offense). Other penalties depending on drug type and quantity transported.

Who is responsible if the Post Office loses a package? ›

As a general rule of thumb, if you don't see any evidence to suggest otherwise, the seller or shipper is responsible. If a package is marked as delivered and you have not seen it, then the seller is responsible. The exception is that if a package is actually lost prior to being marked delivered.

What does USPS do when they lose a package? ›

You can report a missing USPS package by filing a claim at the USPS claims site. The sender or receiver of a USPS package can file a claim, but the original purchase receipt must be available. You can receive a refund for mail that is lost or never delivered to its final destination as long as the package is insured.

What happens if the Post Office loses your package? ›

File a Claim

If your mail or package included insurance, you may be able to file an insurance claim. For damaged or missing contents, we recommend filing a claim immediately, but you must file no later than 60 days from the date of mailing.

Is the post office in trouble? ›

The post office's ongoing problems

According to the US Government Accountability Office, the Postal Service lost $87 billion between 2006 and 2020. In a report released in February, between Oct. 1 and Dec. 31, 2021, the agency took an adjusted loss of approximately $1.3 billion.

Who owns USPS now? ›

USPS is operated by a 11-person Board of Governors (which resembles the board of directors of a public corporation)—the Postmaster General, his deputy (currently vacant), and nine governors appointed by the President and approved by the Senate for seven-year terms.

Is the USPS going out of business? ›

Although the USPS has a staggering $15 billion in debt and $100 billion in unfunded employee benefits that falls on the American people, it is unlikely the mail system will shut down anytime soon. Some experts say it's more likely the USPS will ask for a bailout by the government than actually close its doors.

Does the post office make money? ›

The Postal Service's operating revenue was $77.0 billion for 2021, an increase of $3.9 billion, or 5.3 percent, compared to the prior year.

Are postal employees unionized? ›

MEMBERS: The National Postal Mail Handlers Union (NPMHU) is recognized as the exclusive collective bargaining agent for 47,000 Mail Handlers employed by the United States Postal Service. NPMHU membership is open to any Mail Handler of the USPS regardless of race, color, sex, age or national origin.

Is the USPS under the federal government? ›

The U.S. Postal Service (USPS) is a large business enterprise operated by the federal government. It has more than 600,000 employees and more than $70 billion in annual revenues.

Can a postman refuse to deliver mail? ›

Ruiz said carriers may refuse to deliver mail to places they feel are unsafe or threatening, such as a home with a dangerous dog. However, the Postal Service is supposed to leave a written notice to residents if they stop deliveries, telling them where to pick up their mail.

How do I contact my postman? ›

Toll free Number(s): 1800 266 6868 ( 09.00 am to 06.00 pm except Sunday and gazetted holidays) 1800-11-2011 (For International Mails)

Can the post office hold my mail without permission? ›

USPS Hold Mail Service

USPS Hold Mail® service can hold your mail safely at your local Post Office facility until you return, for up to 30 days. To hold your mail longer or to reroute your mail, please sign up for a forwarding service.

Who do I complain to about my local post office? ›

Call 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777) or TTY: 1-800-877-8339. Speak to the station manager (postmaster) at a local post office. Contact the postal consumer and industry affairs office that handles questions for your district. Find your district consumer office.

Who investigates the post office? ›

Introduction. To protect the mail and to maintain the integrity of postal processes and personnel, the Postal Service relies on the investigative efforts of OIG special agents. These special agents – federal law enforcement officers investigate internal crimes and fraud against the Postal Service.

What is USPS employee misconduct? ›

General crimes include Postal Service employees' misuse of Postal Service computers, destruction or theft of Postal Service property, falsification of official documents and forgery, theft of funds, abuse of authority, sabotage of operations, narcotics use or sale of drugs while on duty, and alcohol abuse.

Is the mail running slow 2022? ›

How do you find out if your mail has been delivered? ›

How are my Informed Delivery notifications delivered? Informed Delivery notifications are delivered via Daily Digest email, on your online Informed Delivery dashboard, and on the USPS Mobile® application. Go to informeddelivery.USPS.com to see your online dashboard and to manage your text and email notifications.

How often do letters get lost in the mail? ›

What percentage of mail is lost by the US post office? Wikipedia says 3%, but measuring is difficult.

Which post offices are closed due to strike? ›

Promoted Stories
  • Harlesden.
  • Kingsbury.
  • Northolt.
  • Southall.
  • St Peters Street.
  • Wealdstone.
  • Canning Town.
  • Cricklewood.
28 Jun 2022

How many post offices have closed in the UK? ›

Analysis from financial guidance charity Citizens Advice has revealed that 206 British post offices have permanently closed in the last two years, averaging two closures a week.

Who is responsible for the Post Office UK? ›

The Post Office is a limited company owned entirely by the government. The Department of Business Energy and Industrial Strategy holds government responsibility for postal affairs, including the Post Office.

Why are post offices so important? ›

The post office provides an important public service. To our country's founders, the Postal Service's social and civic purpose—connecting people to each other and fostering a well-informed citizenry—were as or more important than its economic benefits.

Are postmen on strike 2022? ›

Postal strikes planned for October 2022

The latest information about the postal strikes is that the CWU has proposed further strike action with its members during October, November and December. Royal Mail is ready to enter talks with the union to avoid industrial action.

What date is the postal strike? ›

The Communication Workers Union (CWU) has called on its members who collect, sort and deliver parcels and letters to take further national strike action on the following dates: Friday 30 September 2022 and Saturday 1 October 2022. Thursday 13th October 2022.

Why are CWU striking? ›

Walkouts began on 3rd May, following a national strike ballot at the end of March that returned a 97.3 per cent majority for action over pay. The dispute had been sparked by Post Office bosses' pay freeze on our members for the 2021/22 financial year, which was then followed up by a 2 per cent pay offer for 2022/23.

How many employees does a post office have? ›

Number of Postal Employees Since 1926
YearNumber of Employees
2016508,908
2017503,103
2018497,157
2019496,934
92 more rows

How many post office locations are there? ›

There are 31,247 Postal Service-managed retail offices. This number does not include contract offices. The Postal Service leased 22,986 properties in 2021.

What services do post offices provide? ›

A post office is a public facility and a retailer that provides mail services, such as accepting letters and parcels, providing post office boxes, and selling postage stamps, packaging, and stationery.

What is a female postman called UK? ›

The term "mail carrier" came to be used as a gender-neutral substitute for "mailman" soon after women began performing the job. In the Royal Mail, the official name changed from "letter carrier" to "postman" in 1883, and "postwoman" has also been used for many years.

How much money does the government give the Post Office? ›

1 The Postal Service generally receives no tax dollars for operating expenses and relies on the sale of postage, products and services to fund its operations.

What is the maximum amount one can send by money order? ›

A minimum of 1,000.00 INR and a maximum of 50,000.00 INR can be sent through Instant Money Order.

Who owns the postal service? ›

Who owns the post office? ›

Is it better to drop mail at post office? ›

The quickest way is to drop the letter in the post office branch which hosts the carrier route for your landlord.

Videos

1. Wandering to Charleston | West Virginia Day 2 | Rustic Ravines, Outlaw Trails, Trailhead Brewery
(Wandering Mittens)
2. Residents complain about lack of maintenance at Earl B. Gilliam Post Office
(CBS 8 San Diego)
3. Mail Sorting at the United States Post Office
(Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum)
4. West Virginia: Don'ts of Visiting West Virginia
(Wolters World)
5. Ghost Hunting Humans On A WWII Light Tank At The Huntington WV Post Office Cool Rare Vintage Film
(spinsandneedles)
6. Time-Lapse drive from Prestonsburg-Ky to Charleston -WV,and back.
(bucun nUSA)