Our knowledgeable staff are passionate about providing families guidance and support during the funeral planning process and well after the funeral. Together, we can honor your loved one’s life while beginning your grief journey. We appreciate our staff members for always going above and beyond what is necessary!
James B. Kepner Co-President of Kepner Funeral Homes
James B. Kepner (Jim) was born in Wheeling, WV, the son of John W. and the late Joan Brown Kepner of Wheeling. He is a 1975 graduate from Linsly Military Institute, Wheeling, WV, a 1979 graduate with a BS degree from West Virginia Wesleyan College, Buckhannon, WV, a 1980 graduate from Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science, Pittsburgh, PA and received his WV Funeral Directors and Embalmers license in 1980. He has three children, Ashley (soon-to-be husband Ryan), Alexander (wife Paige and grandsons Campbell and Jack) and Alicia (husband Ryan) as well as his wife, Margie Carr.
- Past board member, past Chairman of the Board and current member of the Wheeling Area Chamber of Commerce
- Past board member and past President of Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Ohio, Marshall, Wetzel and Belmont Counties
- Past Board Member of Ohio Valley Medical Center
- Past board member of the United Way
- Past board member of Altenheim Home for the Aged
- Past board member and past regional board member of Wesbanco, Wheeling
- Past President, past board member and past member of Fort Henry Club, Wheeling
- Past board Member and past President of Wheeling Kiwanis Club
- Past board member of the Elm Grove Lions Club
- Past board Member of Wheeling Elks Lodge BPOE #28, Wheeling, WV
- Past board member of Wheeling Symposiarchs
- Past board Member of Fraternal Order of Police, Wheeling, WV
- Past board member of Wheeling Country Club
- Member of Theta Xi National Fraternity
- Past board member and Past Chairman of the Trustees, past Finance Chairman and member of Christ United Methodist Church, Wheeling, WV
- Past Secretary/ Treasurer/ past Board Member, past member of the Advisory Past board
- Member of the Captiva Insurance Board and past member of the Resource Board all with Selected Independent Funeral Homes, a national funeral organization
- Past Chairman of the Board and board member of Oglebay Institute, Wheeling, WV
- Past board member and past president of FAMIC (Funeral and Memorial Information Council)
- Past Board member of the Wheeling Hall of Fame
John D. Kepner Co-President of Kepner Funeral Homes
John D. Kepner was born in Wheeling, WV, on August 20, 1955. He graduated from Triadelphia High School, attended both West Virginia University and West Liberty State College, and graduated from the Cincinnati College of Mortuary Science in 1980. He received his West Virginia Funeral Director's and Embalmer's license, along with his Ohio Funeral Director's License, in 1980. He is the son of John W. and the late Joan B. Kepner. He and his wife Claudia Wisbon Kepner have two children, Krystal (husband Michael) and Jonathan.
- North Carolina Funeral Service License - 2011
- Member, Preferred Funeral Directors International (PFDI)
- Past Member, Fort Henry Club
- Past Member, Wheeling Country Club
- Past Member, Christ United Methodist Church
- Past Member, Wheeling Elks BPOE Lodge #28
- Past Member, Wheeling Fraternal Order of Police Associates
- Past Member, Who's Who among rising young Americans,1992
- Former State President, West Virginia Funeral Director Association, 2007-2008
- Former Board member, National Funeral Directors Association Operations Committee
- Former President, West Virginia Funeral Directors Association, Northern District
- Former Member, State Board, West Virginia Funeral Directors Association
- Former President, Wheeling Rotary Club
- Former Board member, Valley Hospice, Inc., Chairman of the Wheeling Advisory Council
- Former Vice President, Wheeling Country Club
- Former Board of Directors, Elmhurst House of Friendship
- Former Board of Directors, Bank One, Wheeling/Steubenville
- Former Board member, Wheeling Coterie
John W. Kepner President Emeritus
John W. Kepner was born in Wheeling on April 25, 1932, son of the late Wade H. and Martha Nay Kepner. He graduated from Linsly Military Institute in 1950, received a Bachelor of Science Degree in General Business at West Virginia University in 1955, and graduated with highest honors from the Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science in 1956. He became a licensed West Virginia funeral director and embalmer, and joined his father in the funeral business. In 1962, he and Wade H. Kepner entered into a partnership, and in 1976, John W. Kepner became President of Kepner Funeral Homes, Inc. He married Mary Joan Brown on July 24, 1954, and they have five children: John D. Kepner, James B. Kepner, Jennifer Lynn Kepner Mooney, Elizabeth Jane Kepner Maynard, and Julie Ann Kepner (deceased, July 27, 1990). He has 12 grandchildren and 8 great grandchildren.
- Past Board Member, Wheeling Country Club
- Past Board Member, Christ United Methodist Church
- Past Board Member, Wheeling Elks Club BPOE #28
- Past Board Member, Wheeling Lodge #5, A.F. & A.M.
- Past Board Member 32nd degree Scottish Rite Mason
- Past Board Trustee of the Linsly School, Wheeling, WV (Emeritus)
- Past Board of Directors of the Ohio Valley Medical Center (Emeritus)
- Past Board member, Wesbanco, Inc.
- Past Board Member and former President, Wheeling Rotary Club
- Past Board Member, West Virginia Funeral Directors Association, Inc.
- Past Board Member, National Funeral Directors Association
- Past Board member and President, National Selected Morticians Association
- Former Vice President, Wheeling Automobile Club
- Past Board member, Wheeling Chamber of Commerce
- Past President, Wheeling Fraternal Order of Police Associates
Ashley Kepner Ferns Managing Partner/Senior Finance Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
Ashley was born in Wheeling, WV and is the oldest of three of Jim Kepner. She graduated from The Linsly School in 2004 and from the University of Kentucky in 2008 with a degree in communications and family science and is Director of Business Marketing and Community Outreach at Kepner Funeral Homes.
Ashley is in charge of the accounting department for all five locations. She and her husband, Ryan, reside in Wheeling.
You can find Ashley in our Chapline Street location working on marketing or handling all of our accounts. Please call her with any questions at 304-232-5110 or e-mail email@example.com
Past Board Member, King's Daughter's & Crittenton
Jonathan W. Kepner Licensed Funeral Director/Embalmer & Crematory Operator
Jonathan was born and raised in Wheeling, WV. He is the son of John and Claudia Kepner. He graduated from The Linsly School, West Virginia University and Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science. Jonathan represents the fifth generation of funeral service in the Kepner family. In 2018 he married Lindsey Baxter, and they now reside in Huntersville, NC. He enjoys working out, entrepreneurial business adventures, sports, traveling, and spending time with family and friends.
Alexander Wade Kepner Owner of Tribute Monument
Alex was born in Wheeling, WV and now lives in Richmond, VA. He attended The Linsly School where he graduated from, and went on to Virginia Tech to receive his bachelors degree. Following this, he attended and graduated from The Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science.
Alex has been with Kepner Funeral Homes since 2003. He is married to his wife Paige, and they have two sons, Campbell and Jack. He is a 5th generation Kepner. Alex enjoys golfing, tennis, basketball and relaxing with friends and family.
Alex is the President of Tribute Monument for Kepner Funeral Homes. He and Karen work together to provide exceptional service for our families. For questions regarding Tribute, please call Karen at 304-232-5110
Bill Burke Funeral Director/Manager
William T. Burke, Jr. is the Manager of the Kepner Funeral Home Burke Chapel in Warwood. He graduated from Wheeling Central Catholic High School in 1975, attended WV Northern Community College, and graduated from the Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science in 1978. He has been employed with Kepner Funeral Homes since 1977. He is the father of two daughters, Andrea and Julie. He is active with his daughters in softball and basketball.
Kevin Gessler Funeral Director/Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
Kevin Gessler, of Wheeling, was a former Police Officer having served 25 years with the Wheeling West Virginia Police Department. Promoted through the various ranks, he served as the Chief of Police in Wheeling, until he was selected as the Chief of the Sidney, Ohio Police Department where he served until his retirement in 2013. He is a graduate of West Liberty State College, the West Virginia Police Academy, and the FBI National Academy.
Kevin and his wife Mari Gessler have two children, Kevin Jr. and his wife Amy, Kari Cooper and her husband Zack and their most precious grandson; Elliot Gessler. Kevin enjoys golf, baseball and spending time with family.
Kevin has been with Kepner Funeral Homes since 2013 beginning as a funeral assistant. His calling to service led him to take more active roles and with the encouragement and support of his family and friends along with President Jim Kepner and funeral director Mark Danehart. Kevin attended and graduated from The Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science and is a licensed Funeral Director and Manager of the Kepner Funeral Home in Elm Grove.
Hannah Riggle Licensed Funeral Director email@example.com
Hannah was born in Pittsburgh, PA and grew up in West Alexander, PA. She graduated from McGuffey High School in Claysville, PA in 2017, where she was a cheerleader, member of the National Honor Society and President of the FFA. She continued her education at the Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science in Pittsburgh, PA, where she graduated in January of 2019 with her Diploma in Embalming and Funeral Directing. In September 2019, she received her Associate Degree in Specialized Business in Funeral Service Management. She served her apprenticeship at Kepner Funeral Home.
Hannah enjoys spending time with her family, friends and dogs. She also enjoys hunting, fishing and helping her parents on their 160 acre farm in West Alexander.
Melissa Hill Lead Embalmer and Funeral Director
Melissa Hill was born in Latrobe, Pennsylvania. She graduated from Gannon University in Erie, Pennsylvania where she received her BA in 2001. Following, she received her MA from St. Johns College in Annapolis, Maryland in 2005. After working for several years, she decided that the funeral industry was her true calling in which she attended and graduated in 2014 from the Worsham College of Mortuary Science in Chicago, Illinois. She served her apprenticeship in Iowa before joining the Kepner firm in January 2016.
Terry Snider Embalmer and Funeral Director
Terry came to Kepner's from San Antonio and recently returned to Cadiz, Ohio to be closer to family. He is a 2007 graduate of the Cincinnati College of Mortuary Science and earned his undergraduate degree from Ohio University in 2003. He has held licenses in Ohio, Texas and is currently licensed in West Virginia. In his spare time he enjoys spending time with family and friends. He also enjoys various outdoor activities, music, history, and travel.
Renee George Director of Pre-Need firstname.lastname@example.org
Renee was born in Wheeling, WV. She graduated from Shepherd University in Shepherdstown, WV where she received her BA in 1993. She is married to Edward M George III and they have three children, Mason, Grace and Lily.
Renee is the licensed Pre-Need Director for all five Kepner Funeral Home locations. She works directly with our families to pre plan their funeral arrangements to assure an easier transition take place for the families at a tough time. Sheis in charge of our aftercare program, which brings together widows and widowers coping with grief and loss. Renee is located in our Chapline Street location and can be reached at 304-232-5110 or email@example.com.
Karen Hockenberry Administrative Assistant and Tribute Monument Specialist firstname.lastname@example.org
Karen has been with Kepner Funeral Homes since 1994. She lives in Warwood, WV. Karen is the proud mother of three children, Heather, Lori and Eddie. She is a graduate of Wheeling High School and attended West Virginia Northern Community College. Karen enjoys spending time with her family, flower gardening and cooking. She also enjoys helping with community functions such as cancer walks, church dinners and fundraisers.
Karen's office is located in our Chapline Street building. Karen is a very important member of our staff and goes above and beyond to ensure our families needs and wants are being taken care of. Please contact Karen at email@example.com or 304-232-5110.
Aubrey Koscevic Administrative Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
Aubrey was born in Washington, PA and grew up in Wellsburg, WV with her family of five, being the middle child. She is an aunt to two amazing children; Karlee and Kamdon, and if they were jewels, she would have the most beautiful gems ever and is very proud to be their Aunt! She is very close with her family and loves spending as much time as she can with them. She enjoys reading, her dogs and food.
Tiffany Krone Administrative Manager email@example.com
Tiffany Krone joined the Kepner Funeral Home staff in 2020. She resides in Martins Ferry, OH, where she graduated from high school. She is the proud mother of three children, Dylan, Brittany and Victoria "Tori". Tiffany enjoys reading, jigsaw puzzles and anything outdoors.
You can find Tiffany in our downtown location.
Larry Dean Funeral Attendant
Larry has been with Kepner Funeral homes since 1977. He is from Wheeling, WV and graduated from Sherrard and went on to Fairmont State for college.
Larry is licensed to do cremations for Kepner's, works funerals and is responsible for maintenance needed for all of our locations. Larry is also involved with Renpek Pet Services and is a huge asset to our team.
Jessica was born in Wheeling, WV. She graduated from John Marshall High School in 2003, where she was a member of the National Honor Society. She is a 2014 graduate of West Virginia Northern Community College, and is currently enrolled at the Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science in Pittsburgh, PA.
Jessica enjoys spending time with her children, Audrey and Adam, and their miniature schnauzer, Sophia.
Part-time Staff Part-time Staff members
Here are Kepner's we are proud of our part-time staff members and all the hard work they do for us each week. Below are the members of Kepner's part-time staff:
- Kelly Clark
- Dave Clutter
- Janet Grubler
- Mel Joseph
- Jeff Klosinski
- Bill La Rue
- Don Martin
- Linda McGlumphy
- Sandy Meyer
- Bob Morgan
- Randy Rejonis
- Jim Roberts
- Georgia Rudol
- Wendi Wetzell Cuc
Kepner Funeral Home - Woodsdale
Phone: (304) 232-2732
National Road at Bethany Pike, Wheeling, WV 26003
Kepner Funeral Home - Downtown Wheeling
Phone: (304) 232-5110
1308 Chapline Street, Wheeling, WV 26003
Kepner Funeral Home - South Wheeling
Phone: (304) 232-4060
36th & Jacob Streets, Wheeling, WV 26003
Kepner Funeral Home - Elm Grove
Phone: (304) 242-2311
166 Kruger Street, Wheeling, WV 26003
Kepner Funeral Home - Burke Chapel
Phone: (304) 277-2722
2101 Warwood Avenue, Wheeling, WV 26003