- Service Reviews
- Best Registered Agent Service in West Virginia
Last Updated: By TRUiC Team
Choosing the best registered agent service in West Virginia depends on your needs. Most new business owners will save money and time by using an LLC formation company that includes first-year registered agent services for free.
Whatever your needs, continue reading our best West Virginia registered agent reviews to find the best registered agent for your business.
We compared the most popular services and based our selection on:
- Business needs
- Customer Satisfaction
Best West Virginia Registered Agent Services
BEST OVERALL VALUE
Northwest is our favorite registered agent service because of its transparent pricing, reliable service, and premium all-inclusive features:
- The first year free with their $39 LLC formation service
- A dedicated account manager
- Online annual report filing
- Free mail forwarding
- Same-day mail and document scanning/uploading
- Email and push notification reminders
- Required registered office address in West Virginia
- State compliance monitoring
Our No. 1 Recommended Service
Northwest ($125/year) is the best registered agent service in West Virginia owing to its affordability, reliability, excellent support, numerous services, and the simplicity of setting up an account.
1. Northwest ($125/year)
Northwest provides quality registered agent services to keep you compliant with West Virginia business formation laws. You get your first year free when you use its West Virginia LLC formation services ($39 + State Fees) to register your startup.
Northwest Registered Agent is known for placing its customers' privacy as its top priority. They develop devoted "Corporate Guides" for each customer to walk them through state policies and ensure they are always up to date on regulations. You can access to your documents online and will be notified in advance of important filing deadlines.
Northwest's registered agent service has premium online services, outstanding customer service, and zero hidden fees you're looking for.
More advantages of going with Northwest:
- Reliability — With their knowledgeable Corporate Guides at the helm, Northwest ensures that your services are consistently smooth.
- Privacy — Northwest never sells your data and totally commits to protecting your anonymity
- LLC Formation and More — In addition to their quality registered agent services and LLC filing, Northwest offers great additional features such as virtual mailboxes.
- Free Year of Services With Formation — Northwest offers the first year of registered agent service free with their LLC formation package.
- 24/7 Platform Accessibility — Access your documents anytime, anywhere
- Great Customer Reviews — Northwest is rated 4.7/5 stars on Google, and customers report that Northwest is “so welcoming” and that working with the company is an “amazing experience overall.”
- Their prices are not the lowest on the market; however, the services and customer support you receive make the cost worthwhile, plus, they offer one year free with LLC formation.
Northwest Pricing and Features
Get everything you need to stay compliant with Northwest, including:
- Easy sign-up through Northwest's secure website.
- Service of process — Northwest will receive legal and tax documents on your behalf and provide you with a physical registered agent address in West Virginia
- Mail scanning and forwarding services
- Lifetime Corporate Guide assistance is available via telephone and email
- Compliance filing services (e.g, annual report preparation, etc.)
- Online platform for storing and retrieving documents and other mail
- Notification services to remind you of upcoming filing deadlines
Northwest provides low-fee registered agent services for entrepreneurs and startups, along with loyalty discounts and no hidden fees. With competitive rates and superb customer focus, many individuals and businesses trust Northwest's registered agent services.
For a more in-depth look at Northwest, check out our Northwest review.
2. ZenBusiness ($199/year)
While not as well-established nor as experienced as Northwest, ZenBusiness still offers a lot of value for its West Virginia registered agent clients. For $199 per year, ZenBusiness handles all your legal and tax documents, making them available to you anytime through its online platform. ZenBusiness also provides notification alerts of upcoming filing deadlines and offers a website that is easy to navigate and place your order through.
Great for startups on a budget needing basic registered agent services, ZenBusiness offers lots of advantages:
- Friendly Customer Service — ZenBusiness has good customer reviews and provides quality services to its clients
- "Worry-Free Compliance" Guarantee — Receive alerts for filings that will keep your business in good standing with the state.
- Extra Services — You can add LLC formation (and additional helpful features) to your services for an extra fee.
- 24/7 Accessibility — Reach your online dashboard anywhere, any time.
- ZenBusiness doesn't offer a free year of registered agent services with their LLC formation services.
- ZenBusiness' prices are the highest on our list.
ZenBusiness Pricing and Features
ZenBusiness only costs $199 per year and guarantees to help you stay compliant with West Virginia business formation laws, providing you with:
- West Virginia service of process
- Online document storage (access anytime, anywhere)
- Secure handling of legal documents
- Reminders for when to file your annual report (with up to two free changes per year)
- Physical West Virginia mail address
- Convenient LLC formation add-on services
ZenBusiness simplifies the startup process by offering affordable registered agent services statewide. And if you have any problems along the way, they will always have someone on hand to assist.
For a more in-depth look at ZenBusiness, check out our ZenBusiness review.
3. Incfile ($119/year)
Maintain West Virginia state requirements with Incfile’s registered agent services. Incfile offers an easy online dashboard for viewing your legal and tax documents securely. Its registered agent service is adequate for most business needs, and its customer service experience is highly rated.
There are many advantages of using Incfile as your West Virginia registered agent service provider, including:
- Backed by Customers — Incfile has a strong reputation for providing excellent customer service.
- Routine Compliance — With Incfile, you get basic registered agent services, including annual report notifications and compliance monitoring.
- One Year of Free Registered Agent Service — Get your first year of registered agent services free when you purchase Incfile’s LLC formation service.
- The price may not buy you as much value as what you get with other registered agent services in West Virginia.
- Incfile has been known to change its terms and conditions without notice.
- Incfile does not offer many of the additional features or benefits that some of its competitors do.
Incfile Pricing and Features
Incfile registered agent services cost $119 per year for basic registered agent services, such as:
- Physical business address in West Virginia
- Service of process
- Online platform for accessing documents 24/7
- Experienced staff to guide you through filings
- Extra services you can pay for (e.g., LLC formation, EINs, banking resolutions, etc.)
Incfile will help your business maintain compliance and meet state requirements at an affordable price, handling your legal and tax documents securely.
For a more in-depth look at Incfile, check out our Incfile review.
4. Rocket Lawyer ($149.99/year)
Rocket Lawyer is a reputable registered agent service that offers a wide range of legal services to businesses of all sizes. The company has been in operation since 2008 and has helped millions of people and businesses with their legal needs. Rocket Lawyer offers a free trial membership so you can test out its service before committing to a full membership.
Rocket Lawyer Pros
Rocket Lawyer offers a membership package that gives you access to legal forms and templates for navigating the legal side of running a business while serving as your registered agent in West Virginia.
Some of the pros of Rocket Lawyer's services include:
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee — If you're not happy with your registered agent services, Rocket Lawyer will provide a full refund.
- Large Customer Base — Rocket Lawyer has helped over 7 million businesses, indicating a history of happy clients.
- Expert Legal Assistance — With Rocket Lawyer's network of legal professionals, you can rest assured that your business is in good hands.
Rocket Lawyer Cons
- If you're looking for the cheapest option available, Rocket Lawyer might not be for you. However, if you're looking for quality legal services, Rocket Lawyer is a great option, and their prices reflect this.
Rocket Lawyer Pricing and Features
Rocket Lawyer’s registered agent services run $149.99/year, giving you the following features:
- Service of process and West Virginia-based registered agent address
- Email notifications and online access to legal notices
- Compliance assistance with the State of West Virginia and reputation protection
- Experienced professional agents and access to attorney network when needed
- Member discounts on other services
- One year of free registered agent service when you sign up for Rocket Lawyer’s business bundle.
Rocket Lawyer’s registered agent services can help your business maintain compliance and meet state requirements affordably.
For a more in-depth look at Rocket Lawyer, check out our Rocket Lawyer review.
How to Change Your Agent for Service of Process in West Virginia
You may need to change your West Virginia agent for service of process for a variety of reasons. Maybe you've relocated your business to another state and need to update your agent information. Or perhaps you're unhappy with your current registered agent service and want to switch to one of the recommended providers above.
Whatever the reason, changing your agent for service of process in West Virginia is a relatively simple process:
1. Fill Out the Agent Address and/or Officer Change
West Virginia LLCs must complete the Agent Address and/or Officer Change in order to officially update their agent for service of process with the West Virginia Secretary of State. This can only be completed online. The filing fee is $15 for LLCs.
To add a registered agent service as your new point of contact, simply update the fields with your service’s information.
2. Allow Change to Process
Your new agent for service of process will not be made official until your form is processed by the West Virginia Secretary of State. Depending on the volume of submissions, this can take days or even weeks. We recommend filing online for faster processing times.
Once your change request is processed, the West Virginia Secretary of State will send you confirmation. At this point, the state will send all service of process to your new agent.
Looking for a reliable and affordable registered agent service? Northwest’s experienced team will make sure your documents are filed correctly (and on time) so you can focus on running your business. Plus, their low annual price makes them a great value for your money.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I be my own agent for service of process in West Virginia?
Yes, you can be your own agent for service of process in West Virginia, but as an agent for service of process, you must have a physical address in West Virginia and be available during normal business hours to accept service of process and other correspondence.
Do all business entities in West Virginia need an agent for service of process?
Most formal business entities in West Virginia are required to have an agent for service of process. Exceptions may include informal structures like sole proprietorships. It is best practice to have one to avoid any legal complications down the road.
How much does an agent for service of process cost in West Virginia?
The average cost of an agent for service of process in West Virginia ranges from $50 to $300 per year. Costs ordinarily align with the registered agent services being offered.
What’s the cheapest way to start an LLC in West Virginia?
The cheapest way to start an LLC in West Virginia is to form it yourself. However, this method costs time, which could potentially cost you more in the long run. Check out our review of the best LLC services in West Virginia to see if a professional service can help you out.
How much does it cost to change an agent for service of process in West Virginia?
It costs $15 to change your agent for service of process in West Virginia as an LLC. This fee is paid to the West Virginia Secretary of State when you file an Agent Address and/or Officer Change.
How do I find the agent for service of process of a company in West Virginia?
To find the agent for service of process of a West Virginia business, check the West Virginia Secretary of State website, where you can search for businesses by name. You can also try searching for the company in a public records database or directly asking the company.
Is it best to use a professional registered agent service?
A professional registered agent service offers state compliance for your limited liability company and most other West Virginia business entity types. They provide a business address and business hours. Some nationwide registered agent service providers offer online accounts and free registered agent services with the purchase of a business formation package.
Best Registered Agent Services
LLC Registered Agent
How to Start an LLC in West Virginia
How to Start a Business in West Virginia
How to File a DBA in West Virginia
West Virginia Business Resources
West Virginia Registered Agent
West Virginia LLC Name Search
Does WV require a registered agent? ›
Your business must appoint a West Virginia registered agent to receive documents in legal matters, including notice of lawsuit. Our reliable registered agent service fulfills this requirement. You get: Same-day documents from our local office in Hinton.Can I use myself as a registered agent? ›
You can act as your own Registered Agent for a corporation or LLC as long as you have a physical street address in the state where your corporation or LLC is formed. The actual corporation or LLC being formed, however, cannot name itself as its own Registered Agent.What is an agent of process in West Virginia? ›
(a) An agent for service of process appointed by a limited liability company or a foreign limited liability company is an agent of the company for service of any process, notice or demand required or permitted by law to be served upon the company.Can you be your own registered agent in Virginia? ›
Can I be my own registered agent? Yes. Registered agents are required to meet qualification requirements listed in the previous question and provide a Virginia registered office address.How do I become a registered agent in WV? ›
- Maintain a WV Physical Address. Registered agents must have a registered office in West Virginia. ...
- Be Available. ...
- Accept Service of Process. ...
- Receive Official Notices.
An LLC member is defined as an individual or entity holding a membership interest. LLC members are responsible for the company's operations and administration. An LLC organizer is the individual or entity responsible for facilitating the technical formation of an LLC on behalf of the LLC.Is LegalZoom worth it for LLC? ›
Not only is LegalZoom a great option for setting up a limited liability company (LLC), but it also provides legal help for every part of your life, including personal, family or intellectual property. LegalZoom offers affordable pricing plans with the option to add on additional services.Is LegalZoom legit? ›
LegalZoom is one of the best online legal services on the market today. It's a reputable and reliable solution for a wide range of different solutions for business, professional, and personal legal needs.Is registered agent address public? ›
By using a registered agent service provider as your registered office, instead of your company's business address, you never have to worry about this. Your business is home-based. As previously mentioned, the registered agent address is a matter of public record. That means anyone, including marketers, can access it.Who can serve papers in WV? ›
Service may be effected by any person who is not a party and who is at least 18 years of age. At the request of the plaintiff and upon payment of the applicable fees and costs of service, the clerk shall: Deliver the summons and complaint to the sheriff for service as directed by the plaintiff, or.
How many days do you have to answer a complaint in WV? ›
A defendant shall serve an answer within 20 days after the service of the summons, unless before the expiration of that period the defendant files with the court and serves on the plaintiff a notice that the defendant has a bona fide defense, and then an answer shall be served within 30 days after the defendant was ...How is a court order served? ›
There are several ways in which a Court Order may be served. Some can be mailed to a given address, however others must be delivered in person. Making sure that the correct process for each Court Order is followed will ensure that there are no problems in the future with executing the order.Can I Be Own RA? ›
While every state requires a business to have a registered agent, regulations may differ. Several states allow the business to be its own RA, and others don't. If you'd like to hire a company to serve as your registered agent, it will cost around $100 to $300 per year.Can I be my own registered agent Reddit? ›
While it is legally possible to serve as your own registered agent or assign an individual as your registered agent, it is advisable to designate a commercial registered agent service to perform this important role.Who can be a registered agent in Delaware? ›
Generally, such entities shall have and maintain in Delaware a registered agent which may be 1) the entity itself, 2) an individual resident of Delaware, or 3) a domestic or foreign legal entity.Can I be my own registered agent Texas? ›
Although an officer, owner, or employee may serve as an entity's registered agent, an entity may not serve as its own registered agent. An entity may contract for the provision of registered agent services from another business entity, such as a service company.